Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Interactive Media Fall 2006 Assignment 9 Due Noon November 6
-Please read over the hand-outs on Podcasting and YouTube. Look over a few videos and be ready to present your favorite one to the class, describing how it could relate to the concept of Crowdsourcing.
-Text: Chap 3, p. 159 -179
Post 1 p. reflection including all resources above

1 comment:

Big Tino said...

Youtube and PodCasting

After reading these articles I learned something new and some things that I thought I knew differently. Although I had heard about podcasting, and I kind of had an idea of how it works, I was unclear as to how individuals download them at leisure. I knew podcast were audio recordings of whatever people wanted, but often I would hear radio DJs tell the audience to download their podcast from the web. Not having an ipod may be the reason why I seem so in the dark about this topic of downloading podcast from actual broadcast. The article explains that through sources like the RSS, people can subscribe to download certain content with a subscription. Also, Apple’s itunes now has software that will locate and download the content of your subscription for you if need be. With the use of the ipod, people can now get their favorite news, information, and media download to their ipod and can be on their way. The podcasting format adds a whole new category to the crowdsourcing topic.
The article titled “It Should Happen to You” was very interesting. I was introduce to youtube about 2 years ago when a friend sent me a link for a Simpson’s video, where someone recreated the entire opening into live action. That, by definition, is the wonderful thing about youtube. It gives complete unknown people the ability to broadcast their own creations. Just think, you don’t have to pitch an idea to some no brain network head, whose only concern is about money. You can create your piece, set it up on youtube, and enjoy the fact that people see your work. Even knowing that you, as the artist, may not see any money from it, the exposure could lead to something great, possibly an Oscar. The idea that anyone at any time has free access to your video blog can be very helpful for many. Youtube is another excellent example of the crowdsourcing topic. Not only is youtube great for promoting personal work, but it also is a great place to communicate and share with others, videos that you may no be able to see anymore. It’s like ebay with free videos.