Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Interactive Media Fall 2006 Assignment 6 Due Noon Sunday Oct. 15
1. Please look over my Beginning HTML eLecture and try practicing some of the tags we learned in class and exploring more on your own! Consider making an ePortfolio as one option for your final project.
2. Read: Text: Chap 2 pp.91 -115
Constructivism article: click on the Library link on the UArts portal >Search the Catalog>Instructor>Julian>Ed Media A>Type in the number on the back of your I.D. to access the article.
Post your 1 p. reflection on both readings here
3. Begin Ink City project: shoot then render on paper with only black ink washes, 4 images of Philadelphia. Max size 8.5 in X 11 in. Digitize at home or in class.

3 comments:

Big Tino said...

I am having a problem loging into the catalog. I thought our new IDs were suppuse to have the barcode. If not than I don't have one and it is to late for that. Well we'll see what happens.Later

Big Tino said...

Big Tino

Next Part of Chapter 2
I really enjoy reading this book. I get the impression that it is more of a catalog of digital art and its impact on the world than a textbook of information. However it does provide an abundance of information on the digital art that it is illustrating. When commenting on the readings, we are required to do, I find myself reciting the same jargon. Therefore I will comment on the pieces that I found most interesting. The first work that I found interesting, and would have loved to partake in, is Body Movies: Relational Architecture. It gives me the sense of being a small child playing around will lights, shadows and video reflection. I would also enjoy watching astute adults act like small children as well. The next, that I found powerful and moving, was the discussion of Empire. This piece conveys the idea that buildings live out a day to day, boring life, where nothing really changes. However, on September 11, Staehle demonstrated that even though these buildings seem to be suspended in animation, they too adhere to time and it’s event. Next we entered my home turf, animation. “Animation is one of the genres that is most resistant to classification. It has continuously merged disciplines and techniques and still exists at the border of the entertainment industry and art world. Exactly how far animation can and should be considered an art form remains the topic of debate, but it certainly is now more frequently incorporated in exhibitions.” I really liked this when I read it, because I have felt that I don’t really know animation’s place in art. As a future art educator I truly enjoyed the part about “…continuously merged disciplines and techniques…” You rule animation. The chapter then discusses the impact of Macromedia and Flash. As an animation major I have experienced the power that these two has done to rejuvenate the animation field. Animation takes an abundance of time, money, effort, and manpower. With this new software, and its accessibility, children as young as 11 can create their own full length cartoons. For some example just visit newgrounds.com. It is a free website for anyone to host any flash animation they create. Anyway, back to my final favorite piece in the chapter. I liked the concept of No Ghost Just a Shell, inspired by the very innovated Ghost in the Shell animated manga cartoon.

After figuring out how to access the library somehow without a barcode, I found the article of constructivism and connection making very helpful. My personal philosophy is that I don’t want to teach art I want to teach children, and to do that I will have to find ways to tap into each student’s different learning ability. This article does a great job of expressing this idea and how to apply this thinking. It demonstrates the use of linkage to other subjects, gives great examples of ways of connection making in the class and ways of connecting art to the rest of the curriculum. Now I would like to just pull some quotes from this article, if I have my own classroom some day, which I would like to have posted on the walls.
“…the foundation for learning is rooted in the children’s thinking and an understanding of how different that can be.”
“In the artroom, creating environments where children are encouraged, through verbal and visual exploration, to relate artists’ work to their own worlds reinforces the meaning of art in life.”
“The implementation of constructivist curriculum is often linked to integrated thematic units of learning across the disciplines.”
“An art teacher needs to know how to work cooperatively and how to make connections between art and other disciplines.”
And my favorite:
“Art educators just happen to have a very rich content data base and many philosophical and pedagogical strategies from which to make choices.”

Big Tino said...

Question!?

Where are we suppose to post our Ink City Pictures?